Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 3--Why is the third day always the worst?

In my many years of real fitness, and my many recent attempts to get back to that state I have learned that its not the day after that hurts, its day 3.  You might be kind of sore on day 2, but its nothing compared to what you feel when you wake up on day 3.  By the third day you have had time to really let that sore sink in.  The muscles have had time to stiffen up really nice, and the adrenaline from the first day has had time to wear off completely.  When I was in soccer, day 3 was when most people stopped showing up during Hell Week.  But if they had just stuck around they would have known this was the worst of it for the most part.

Well today is Day 3 for me and the cramping in my calf and hips is phenomenal, and my stiff legs have me walking like Frankenstein down the hallway at work.  Just looking at my calendar this morning had me on the verge of tears when I realized I had several meetings on different floors and the only way up or down was long flights of stairs.  But I went, and I limped and grimaced.  I know people were looking, and it was ok.  In a few weeks they will realized what was going on and why it was worth it.

Today was a swim day according to my Tri Schedule, but everyone bailed on me and I was feeling quite the chunky munky and intimidated to put on my suit and go alone.  So instead I just went to go take a look and ask some questions.  The hot guy behind the desk was very nice and helpful and put me at ease, so I think I will be brave and go tomorrow even alone.  I don't feel very bad about not swimming since the CrossFit workout today was brutal.  It was so brutal about 5 minutes into the warm up I was starting to have second thoughts about being there.  But the great thing about CrossFit is that its like a family and everyone keeps you going.   Today's WOD was "EVA" and all I can say about that is Eva must be some bad ass bitch because this workout was really punishing even at beginner level.

During my run portion of the WOD I noticed a snail crossing the run path, and each time I came around he was a little farther along.  At first this was really cute, but as the workout went on the snail an I began to have conversations in my head.  I couldn't help but understand the plight of Mr.Snail.  His slow trip across this path was very much like my time doing EVA.   I am sure neither one of us thought it would ever end.  But to be fair, Mr Snail only had to cross the path and not get squished.  I had a nice set of Kettlebells and Pull Ups to do in between my runs.  Post WOD I had to lay on the floor and pray I wouldn't puke and once I was sure I wouldn't my next task was trying to stand up.  The cramping came back but some time on the evil foam roller and stick eased it.  Now its time for a good nights sleep and sweet dreams of the pool tomorrow.

Weight--Feels like a million lbs

WOD "EVA" Beginner
4 Rounds for Time
400m Run
30 Kettlebell swings 35lbs
30 Pull ups
Time 31:16

Tri--Skipped the Swim

1 comment:

  1. Good job on your return to fitness! Where did you decide to swim? I might be persuaded to swim with you sometime, I miss swimming and it is so easy on your body.

    ReplyDelete